I decided I wanted to make a healthy snack for the family during this year’s big game. I looked up a few recipes and came up with my own version of Baked Buffalo Cauliflower wings. What I love about this recipe is that it is vegetarian-friendly. It’s also super budget-friendly (and you probably have most of the ingredients at home). I went shopping at Northgate Gonzalez Market and my ingredients cost was only $10.97!
Also, this recipe is a pretty large portion that will feed a family of 5 or more – but feel free to cut the recipe in half if you just want a snack for yourself. And while the recipe is easy, the prep time will be a bit time consuming. If you’ve made Baked Buffalo Cauliflower wings before and have a tip for us – please leave a comment!!! We’d love to hear your take on it.
Baked Buffalo Cauliflower wings
2 medium cauliflowers, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup of flour
1 cup of water
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/3 cup of Buffalo hot sauce
2 Baking sheets
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray or rub with oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, water, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Using your cutting board,cut cauliflower into bite size pieces. The best way to do it is to turn the cauliflower upside down and cut from the bottom so the pieces have stems attached. Don’t cut from the top of the cauliflower as you will get florets without stems.
- Take one cauliflower floret at a time and coat with flour mixture. Place florets into baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip the florets half way through the 15 minutes and at the end of the 15 minutes remove from oven.
- In a separate bowl (we used measuring cup), stir together melted butter and buffalo sauce. We suggest you melt the butter first in the measuring cup or bowl and then add buffalo sauce on top. You then dip the baked florets into the buffalo mixture one at a time and place them in a new baking sheet.
- Place the new baking sheet back into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy. Make sure you are watching them as you don’t want them to burn. You can flip them halfway through, but that is not necessary.
- Remove from oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
I really enjoyed making this recipe because it’s an alternative to eating meat and I’m always looking for ways to cut back on meat consumption. I did wish the cauliflower was a bit more cooked since it was a little crunchy at the end. You have to keep checking the cauliflower to make sure it doesn’t burn because the oven is set so high. I saw other recipes where it called the oven to be under the broil option, but I opted to just bake the wings. Do look around and compare recipes as one I saw also substituted butter with coconut oil to make it a vegan recipe. This recipe is great for all get-togethers!!! It brings a spicy side dish option, or main dish if you are vegetarian. Happy cooking!